Happy belated 4th of July! Besides two games Monday and Tuesday, this is the only week I have off from soccer for the summer…so you can bet I’ve been soaking it up as much as possible!
Lounging on the dock at the cabin, splashing around in the pool, cheering on the Twins, playing some golf, sleeping in, and lots of time with family and friends = a great week. And tomorrow I’m going to sneak in some boat time with the bf and a couple friends. Oh, how I do love you summer. Did I mention the weather has been perfect?!
Check out our view for the game this week at the beautiful Target Field (unfortunately we lost, to the Yankees, boo!):
Anyway, on to the important stuff. Last night to celebrate this great country’s independence, we went to a friend’s house for a barbecue and fireworks. On the menu was some delicious smoked pork and chicken. Mmm, so good. Seriously, it was enough to convince me that maybe I need a smoker (not that I have any idea how to use one, nor have the space right now). Maybe some day Although that might not help my “eat less meat” approach to life…
And for the BBQ, all attendees were in charge of bringing a side (as the meat was provided for) and our original plan was to bring Caprese Salad (see my recipe here!).
However, what we ended up making was this beautiful arugula salad, with tomatoes and mozzarella. Very similar flavors to caprese, just a bit different texture and taste with the arugula.
Pretty to look at and delicious to eat. Perfect for a summer BBQ. It even tasted good the day after (which is not very common with salads). Enjoy!
Arugula Salad with Tomato and Mozzarella
1) 5 oz Arugula leaves
2) Two pints Cherry Tomatoes, halved
3) 1 ball fresh Mozzarella, cubed
4) 1 package Basil leaves (or 1 large bunch), torn
5) Balsamic Vinegar
6) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
7) Salt, to taste
8) Pepper, to taste
1) Combine arugula, tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil in large serving bowl
2) Season with salt and pepper
3) Drizzle with equal parts vinegar and oil
4) Toss to combine
- 5 oz Arugula Salad
- Two pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ball fresh Mozzarella, cubed
- 1 package Basil (or 1 large bunch), torn
- Balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Combine arugula, tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella in large serving bowl
- Season with salt and pepper
- Drizzle with equal parts vinegar and oil
- Toss to combine