Umm, it’s already July 22nd. July 22nd! Can you believe it? Summer goes by way too fast.
However, now that my spring/summer traveling soccer team is finally done I’ve got the next few weeks to really enjoy summer before the fall soccer season (and my first year as a head coach!) begins. So yes, I’ve been trying to live it up. Last weekend a couple of college friends and I had a girls weekend. So fun! Complete with dress shopping for a wedding, lunch grabbing, riding the PedalPub, and a night full of dancing. Oh and lots of wine drinking. Doesn’t get much better than that!
What is a PedalPub might you ask? It’s a ridiculous “bike with a barrel”. A non-moterized trolley like thing (that you pedal of course) in which you can bring alcohol on and ride around town in. Sound like fun? Oh it is. I believe this was the 4th time I’ve been on one, each time a different theme (this time was Christmas in July – complete with blasting Christmas music and singing our hearts out while riding around downtown Minneapolis). Love it! Here’s my beautiful friends and I (I’m the short blonde one in front, with the awesome black sweater vest on):
Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, summer. I’ve still got a couple of things on my list of things to do before this beautiful weather fades. Don’t think I’ll make it to all of them, but hey, a girl’s gotta dream…
They are as follows:
1) Try paddle-boarding for the first time
2) Check out another farm that makes/serves food (like A to Z Pizza!)
3) Play tennis (used to play ALL the time in college, but not so much anymore)
4) Mini-golf at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis (Artist-designed mini-golf = cool!) http://www.walkerart.org/channel/2013/artist-designed-mini-golf
5) GO TO THE BEACH (There are 10,000 lakes here in MN, and I haven’t laid out at one of them yet this summer!)
And now that summer is in full swing some of my favorite foods are as well (corn-on-the-cob and watermelon specifically). It’s a little early for watermelon here still but I just couldn’t help myself. I bought a big ‘ol melon the other day. And it was in perfect timing too. I had to bring a dish for an all staff meeting at the yoga studio I teach at. Well, yoga teachers are (generally speaking of course!) pretty conscious of what they put into their body. I figured there wouldn’t be a lot of meat or cheese, and boy was I right. In fact, besides the feta cheese in this dish and some mozzeralla cubes in another, the whole spread was vegan! And no, I’m not complaining about that Lots of fresh veggies, hummus, pesto, and quinoa dishes. Mmm mmm.
Besides, I’ve been seeing a lot of watermelon salads on menus recently, and figured I might as well attempt to make my own.
Seems like an odd combination of ingredients, but everything comes together just perfectly. So light and refreshing! Perfect for a picnic, barbecue, or summertime get together.
1/2 large watermelon, rind and seeds removed, cut into bite-sized chunks
1/2 sweet onion (such as Vidalia), sliced thinly
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
Combine vinegar, salt and pepper in small bowl
Whisk oil in slowly
Add chopped mint to dressing, stir
Mix watermelon, onions, and feta in large bowl
Pour over dressing, toss to combine
- ½ watermelon, rind and seeds removed, cut into chunks
- ½ sweet onion (such as Vidalia), sliced thinly
- ⅛ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine vinegar, salt and pepper in small bowl
- Whisk oil in slowly
- Add chopped mint to dressing, stir
- Mix watermelon, onions, and feta in large bowl
- Pour over dressing, toss to combine