Drum roll please….it’s the Super Bowl! The most watched televised event in all the world (isn’t that just nuts?!). My favorite part: the food, the drinks, the socializing, and oh, who could forget those crazy commercials. Yes I know I didn’t mention the football (seems that’s what it’s really about, huh?). Despite dating a football coach, it’s not my favorite thing to watch (he already knows this, and loves me despite!). And although I don’t really care who wins, any excuse to get together with friends, where food and some good beer is involved, is a winner in my book.
But oh the food. Some of it can be so bad for you! Loaded with artificial crap that your body just doesn’t need. So how can you try and stay clean this Super Bowl Sunday? Read on for my best (and worst!) picks:
Best Super Bowl Sunday Snacks:
1) Guacamole: Loaded with good for you avocado, with some jalapeño, cilantro, onion, and lime. Nothing bad for you here!
2) Tortilla Chips and Salsa: Although the chips might not be GMO-free, salsa is usually clean, and a much better choice than a cream cheese or sour cream based dip.
3) Nuts: A simple, clean snack. Packed with protein and amino acids. Try making your own spiced nuts and bringing them to share!
4) Hummus: Hummus is (almost!) always clean, and again, has a lot less calories and fat than cream cheese or sour cream dips. Serve with veggies or clean pita chips.
5) Greek Yogurt Dip: Mix Greek yogurt with dried dill and parsley, fresh chives, fresh minced garlic, and a little Dijon mustard. Stir to combine, and enjoy with your favorite veggies!
6) Bean dip: Without the sour cream and cheese, bean dips can be healthy! Check out this one from The Food Network: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/white-bean-dip-with-pita-chips-recipe/index.html
Best Heartier Options:
1) Chili: Maybe not always an option, but why not make some and bring yourself? The bf and I are whipping up a huge batch today. Check out my recipe here: http://eatcleanwithkate.com/?p=1674
2) Baked Egg Rolls: These are so easy to make, and so delicious! I’ve made BBQ chicken ones (see my recipe here!) but you could also fill them with taco, pizza, or buffalo chicken filling.
3) Baked Taquitos: Depending on the filling, these could be a clean choice. Especially if buying non-GMO corn tortillas. Made them for a party once, and they were a hit. Here’s my yummy recipe: http://eatcleanwithkate.com/?p=1427
1) Cream Cheese or Sour Cream Based Dips: Besides the high fat and calorie content, not likely to be clean unless you make it clean yourself!
2) Nachos: Loaded with meat, cheese, sour cream – yep, you get the picture.
3) Buffalo Wings: Loaded with calories and fat (especially the fried version!), and who knows where that chicken came from (or how it was raised!)
4) Sausage or Pepperoni Pizza: Loaded with fatty meat and cheese, definitely not your best option.
5) Mini Meatballs or Mini Wieners: Highly processed, and contains all sorts of garbage you don’t want in your system.
Alright that’s it! Enjoy the food, err…game