I had probably only eaten Carbonara once before the bf and I moved in together, and that was at a restaurant (and probably at the Olive Garden, where I used to work). When he made me Carbonara the first time, I was pleasantly surprised. So delicious! And so easy to make. I now find myself craving it on a semi-regular basis.
The version we make is without cream, but still turns out nice and creamy. Perfect for when you are craving a creamy pasta, but don’t want all the extra fat and calories of a cream based sauce.
This is an easy, quick, and clean dish to share with your loved one!
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||10 minutes|
|Total time||20 minutes|
|Meal type||Main Dish|
- 9oz angel hair pasta (preferably fresh)
- 2 eggs
- 5 garlic cloves (minced )
- 2 thick slices bacon or pancetta (diced small)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- flat-leaf (Italian) parsley (for garnish )
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- oil (for sautéing )
- Make sure the sauce is prepared before you start
- Don't forget to reserve some of the pasta water
- Take the pasta off the heat before whisking in the sauce mixture, otherwise the eggs will scramble!
|Beat eggs in small bowl, mix in cheese. Set aside|
|Set up small cup in sink in order to reserve pasta water when draining noodles|
|Bring water to boil, cook pasta al dente according to directions|
|As pasta is cooking, sauté bacon until crisp. Add garlic to bacon mixture and sauté until fragrant, about a minute or so|
|Add pasta to bacon/garlic mixture and toss to combine|
|Taking pan off heat, slowly pour in egg/cheese mixture, whisking quickly to prevent the eggs from scrambling|
|Stir in reserved pasta water until pasta reaches desired consistency|
|Top with chopped parsley|