Hello there ya’ll!
This is going to be a quick, quick, quick post. You know why? It’s Date Night!
During the football/soccer season, the hubby and I’s interactions usually consist of “have a great day”, “see you after _____________ (fill in sport activity)”, and “what do you want me to pick up for dinner?” (or the “sorry but you’re on your own for dinner”) kind of conversations. Not a lot of time for fun date nights. Our nights in the Fall consist of attending one another’s games, or eating take-out on the couch after a long and exhausting day. Neither of which I’m complaining about, by the way.
Weekends have been just as busy with games on Friday nights and Saturday days, and tonight (FINALLY!) we have nothing scheduled and turned down a few invites to make time for just the two of us (cue ‘Just the Two of Us’ by Will Smith – do you remember that song? I sure do!). Cuz that’s important too, ya know?
And Sundays when I have nothing, I like to try and whip up a few things for the week. Especially when the leftovers last for a few days! Like these delicious sweet and tangy muffins.
I picked up the last bit of rhubarb and raspberries from the farmers market, and made these Healthier Raspberry Rhubarb Muffins. The whole wheat flour and added protein from the Greek yogurt prevent the I-just-ate-a-muffin-that-might-as-well-have-been-a-cupcake kind of feel. And that my friends, is a good good thing.
(This recipe was adapted from http://www.motherthyme.com/2012/05/rhubarb-berry-yogurt-muffins.html)
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb (about 2 larger stalks or 4 smaller)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 cup Greek yogurt of choice (I used Greek Gods Honey yogurt – it’s what we had in the house!)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 12 cup muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- Chop two large rhubarb stalks (or four smaller stalks!) into cubes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ground ginger. Still just until ingredients are combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add yogurt, melted butter, egg, vanilla extract and stir with flour mixture just until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Fold rhubarb and berries in batter just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan about ¾ full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until tester inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean and tops are golden brown.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
Saint Dinette here we come!