Looking at the label of the food or drink item you’re about to buy or eat and can’t pronounce some of the ingredients? Unfortunately, finding artificial ingredients in what we consume is common. So common that we have become accustomed to buying foods we think are “good” for us, when really they are chock full of stuff that if we knew more about, we probably would think twice about putting in our body!
So what are the most harmful food additives you ask? Read on…
Some of the most harmful food additives (in no particular order!):
- Artificial Flavorings
- Artificial Colors (including Blue #1, Red #40, Yellow #5 and #6)
- Artificial Sweeteners (including Sucralose, Saccharin, Sorbitol, Aspartame, and Acesulfame-K)
- Artificial Preservaties (including BHT, BHA, TBHQ)
- High Fructose Corn Syrup (and other highly refined sugars)
- MSG (short for Monosodium Glutamate)
- Sodium Nitrate and Nitrate
- Partially Hydrogenated Oils
- Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO)
- Potassium Bromate
Eating clean involves eating foods and beverages that don’t include the above ingredients. Interested in learning more about common “healthy” foods that include these ingredients? Check out the ‘Common “Healthy” Food Misconceptions’ link!